Thursday, April 12, 2012

Friday, April 13, 2012 - Go Narwhals!

Narwhals are part of the whale family
and have been nicknamed
"The Unicorns of the Sea"
"This is the day the LORD has made. 
We will rejoice and be glad in it." 
Psalm 118:24

I love being a soccer mom but Tuesday night I felt like a bi-polar cheerleader at Nick's first game of the season.  First of all, I never pictured myself (or anyone else) screaming "Go Narwhals!!" in public or for real.  Nick himself suggested this name for his team and they agreed.  They weren't thinking of their parents or of having a mascot. As far as I know there are no party supplies featuring narwhals, although I did find this t-shirt online.  Each time I yelled "Go Narwhals!" I laughed.  You try it and you'll see what I mean. Nobody knows what a narwhal is and it's not the easiest word to say.  The more I said it and saw the confused looks from parents of the "Knights," the more I laughed.  Thank you, Narwhals for reminding us it's still a game.
     On the other hand, my son played goal keeper for his team the entire game. I didn't realize how edgy it would make me to see half the other team heading toward my son.  Oh for the easy-breezy days of watching him play offense, running up and down the field with other teammates, and acting as part of a setup to score. But there he stood alone by that huge goal, my good-looking, kind-hearted young man of a son.  He kept his eye on the ball and went after it with everything he had in him to stop it from getting past him.  Although he stopped 10 times more than made it, the other team scored. Still, Nick walked off the field knowing he had done his best as his team's goal keeper.
     Today is the day God calls us to be ready at our posts, to know Him better and to act when it's our turn. Today is the day He calls us to be vigilant and prayerful while the "action" seems to be at the other end of the field, because our turn will come.  Yesterday is history, best learned from and left behind.  Today is the only day we can decide to do what He calls us to do, which also happens to be the best insurance for tomorrow.  
"No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, 
but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing:  
Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 
I strain to reach the end of the race 
and receive the prize for which God through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven."  Philippians 3:13-14
Lord, You alone know what this day holds.  Help us laugh with joy when it's right to laugh. Help us focus on accomplishing Your goals for us one full-hearted charge at a time.  Keep us alert to the opportunities You send our way even as we leave behind anything that gets the best of us. May today be a day we can walk off the field knowing we gave everything we had to reach the goals You set for us.
In the Name of Jesus, our Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment