Friday, December 3, 2010

Friday December 3, 2010 - In the Name of Jesus

    I know people who hate their names so I feel blessed to love mine for several reasons: where it originated, the way it sounds and what it means. My parents named me Robin Elaine after themselves - Robert and Elaine - so it's like carrying part of them with me. When I was a child adults would start singing "When the Red, Red Robin comes bob-bob-bobbin' along" or "Rockin' Robin" when I was around. It's hard not to smile to either of these upbeat songs so I associated my name with happy feelings. After discovering what each of my names means, I like them even more: Robin - "of shining fame," and Elaine - "light." These meanings have been a secret strength to me, inspiring me to let God's Light shine through me so that if I'm known at all, I'm known for "shining" reasons. Having names with  positive associations and meanings influenced Tom and me to make sure our children were named meaningfully as well: Julie Dove - "Youthful, cheerful" and "peace;" and Nicholas Robert - "Victorious" and "Of shining fame." 
    An angel named Gabriel (meaning: "God's able-bodied one; hero of God) told Joseph (meaning: "Jehovah increases") to name the Baby, "Jesus," (meaning: "the Lord is salvation") "because He will save His people from their sins" (Matt. 1:21). Jesus' Name is where we find salvation from sin, so does His Name make people nervous or angry because it reminds them of their sin and their need for salvation? His Name holds a Power the world doesn't understand or accept so they've tried to remove it from schools, public arenas and His own celebrations. As much as it shocks my system to hear someone use Jesus' Name in a curse or speak it with disgust, I've realized these are simply Satan's desperate schemes to defuse the unstoppable Power of Jesus' Name.  Satan tried killing the Name but that backfired, so for 2,000 years he's been trying to defame the Name. I'm looking forward to the day his knees crack like thunder as they bend in submission "at the Name of Jesus."  


Lord Jesus, we've called on Your Name to save us from our sinful natures and now we call on the Power in Your Name to save us from daily sins that can trap us. Help us learn to use Your Name appropriately, as a shield, a Power to fulfill Your Purposes, a reminder to pray in Your will and character. Teach us to call on You as our Shield to fight off Satan's schemes to rob You of Your Power in us and in the world. Teach us this Christmas to let Love rule in our hearts. We need Your Power; we're helpless without You.


In the Name of Jesus, the Power to forgive and to save!  
    


"Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name,  that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth," Philippians 2:9-10


"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12


"All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's and He will give all of you into our hands." 1 Samuel 17:47


"Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith , the salvation of your souls."   1 Peter 1:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment