Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday, December 10, 2010 - The Impossible Dream

     One television special I looked forward to each year at Christmas time when I was a starry eyed little girl was the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical "Cinderella" starring Lesley Ann Warren. I would hum my favorite tune,  "Impossible," for weeks and singing out the only words I could remember from Mr. Rodgers' lyrics, "Impossible things are happening every day!"  The fairy godmother's eyes sparkled with  secret knowledge and prophecies as Cinderella questioned the possibility of overcoming all the obstacles standing between her and her dream of going to the ball.
     Sometimes I think we'd rather have a fairy godmother with a magic wand than a God-Father with unending wisdom. It would simplify our lives if some sweet, happy soul could "bibbity-bobbity" the obstacles away and "bobbity-boo" what we want or need before us every day. The Bible says "With God, all things are possible" (Matt. 19:26)  and "Everything is possible for those who believe" (Mark 9:23). So what's the hold up? Why can't God give us the occasional break and wave a wand to make everything all better in a flash? He can, he just won't for a good reason: it's impossible to grow without the obstacles and complications life presents on a daily basis. We try to keep life from getting out of our control and Jesus says (according to Sarah Young in today's Jesus Calling): "Not only is this an impossible goal, but it is also counterproductive to spiritual growth. When your private world feels unsteady and you grip My hand for support, you are living in conscious dependence on Me." Conscious dependence on God is His goal for us, not a problem-free life. God holds our hands and hearts through the dark faith-trials and teaches us the untouchable joy of His Presence. He won't cripple us with ease or let the fruit of His Spirit rot unused on the vine.  To ask Him to do so is to dream the impossible dream.
     Father, forgive us when we long for ease instead of knowing Your Presence. Strengthen our minds to grow more determined to trust You as each new obstacle pops into view. Encourage our hearts with the joy of Your wisdom for letting us face what's around the corner.  Help us share the same dream You have for us and not work against it by insisting on ease and comfort.  We give your our mustard seeds and ask You to use them however You choose for Your Name's sake, for Your kingdom purposes. 


In the Name of Jesus who prayed, "My Father, If it is possible, may this cup be taken from Me. Yet, not as I will, but as You will.
"
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10


"even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast." Psalm 139:10


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds," James 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment