Wednesday, February 13, 2013

If You Don't Like My Driving, Stay Off The Sidewalks


I suppose my most embarrassing driving experience happened when I was showing off.  Yep. I still flush crimson and break out into a sweat when I think about it.  


I was 15, newly initiated to a learner's permit, and in the middle of the driver's education course at North Cobb High School.  My mom sat in the passenger seat and generously let me drive to church one Wednesday. It was a gloriously sunny spring day in north Georgia, and I was feeling pretty sure of myself as we crossed the railroad tracks into "downtown" Kennesaw.  

That's when I saw a favorite teacher walking down the sidewalk and wanted her to see me behind the wheel.  I beeped the horn and sure enough she looked up to see me waving and grinning.  I'm also pretty sure she heard  Mama scream, at that point. The scream jerked my eyes back to the road where I discovered the car in front of me had stopped in the few seconds I had glanced away.  Who knew slamming on brakes would cause the car to rock jerkily back and forth, squeal tires, and come to a dead stop a millimeter from the devious car ahead of me?  I slid down, down in the seat, wanting to disappear, and ready to hand the steering wheel over to whoever would take it - Mama, my eight-year-old brother - anybody.

When my focus changed, safety became an issue for everyone in the car


"Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, 
on Whom our faith depends from beginning to end.
He did not give up because of the cross! 
On the contrary, because of the joy that was waiting for Him, 
He thought nothing of the disgrace of dying on the cross, 
and He is now seated at the right side of God's throne."  Hebrews 12:2


I saw the following saying on Pinterest yesterday: 
"Think positive because thoughts 
are the steering wheel 
that moves our life in the right direction."  

Nice saying, but my self-manufactured "happy thoughts" aren't enough to keep me in the road when sickness, death, persecution, betrayal, failure, and fear throw their shadows on my path.  

The thoughts that have the power to keep us in the right road are the same ones that kept Jesus on His path up and through Calvary: The joy waiting for Him down the road, on the other side. 

God promised to take hold of our right hands and help us. Remembering and returning His grasp is a sure-fire method to keep our eyes safely on the road ahead of us.

"For I am the Lord your God
    who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
    I will help you." Isaiah 41:13


And by the way, I've discovered it's not just new drivers who are prone to taking their eyes off the road. We, older, more experienced drivers can get just as cocky and think we don't need a Hand to hold every day. 

Father, our Lord and God - thank You for wrapping Your Almightiness around us and for promising us joy after the tunnels.  Thank You for the Power You embed into our beings, for the Love that holds onto us no matter where we are on our journey, or how well we're following Your directions.  Help us keep our eyes on Jesus - focusing on how He lived and following His example with confidence. Thank You for catching us when we fall, comforting us when we're frightened, and keeping us company when we feel alone. You are magnificent in every way.  May we know what it means today to be filled with Your goodness and lost in Your love.
In the Name of Jesus Who endured the road of suffering so we could know You

No comments:

Post a Comment