Thursday, January 10, 2013

Moving My Tent

"Moses entered the cloud as he went up the mountain,
and he remained on the mountain 40 days and 40 nights." 
Deuteronomy 24:18

What is it about kids and tents?  I remember making tents from bed clothes, carving out crannies, hiding in nooks, curling up in a corner, leaning against a tree- anywhere I could create personal space and sanctuary. Even in high school and college, unseen forces pulled me to the same booth or table in the cafeteria, and I had a favorite study carroll in each library for concentrated concentration. 

Peter must have been a kid at heart because his Plan A was to build tents: 
'Suddenly, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.

"Then Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it’s good for us to be here! If You want, I will make three tabernacles (also translated shelters) here: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.'
While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said:
'This is My beloved Son.
I take delight in Him.
Listen to Him!'"
Matthew 17:3-5

A shelter becomes a prison when designed to hide us from trouble, responsibility or even God, but tents we build as tabernacles, where we hide in God rather than from Him -nourish us with His Presence, Peace and Joy. 

Most days, including today, I set up my tent, my tabernacle, at my desk, because this is where I need to be.  This is where I draw down the curtains and allow God to speak to heart and soul. Computer keyboards and the copier provide background music. Calendars, post-its, and memo pads serve for stained glass. If Paul and Silas could sing from a jail cell, Jonah could praise from the belly of a whale, David could compose prayers in caves, Daniel could rest in a lions' den, and the people of Israel could move the first, physical tabernacle from one sandy spot to another, I can certainly plant stakes where I am here and now and hear God now.

“The virgin is going to have a baby. She will give birth to a son. And He will be called Immanuel.”  The name Immanuel means “God with us.” Matthew 1:23

Lord, remind us again today, that You are wherever we find ourselves.  Help us joyfully take up the challenge of finding You in the most unlikely places, of listening for Your Voice in the din around us, of putting You first when other duties call.  Time in the tabernacle is never wasted.  Your Presence fills us to do the rest with purpose. Thank You that we don't need frills to worship and commune and dialogue with You.
In the Name of Jesus, our Immanuel  

No comments:

Post a Comment