Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bon Appetit!


"‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.’"
Luke 10:27


     Top New Year's resolutions hardly change from year to year for Americans.  As usual, "Lose Weight/Get in Shape" still holds a top three position in 2013.  We must not be a very resolved people, but with each new year, comes new hope along with a flood of magazines, manuals, blogs, websites, newspaper articles, and talk shows dedicated to health and dieting. Workout equipment clogs the entrances and aisles of department stores. Gyms post special prices and healthy cookbooks bloom in bookstore windows with recipes featuring the ten "good-for-you" foods.
Hey, whatever it takes to enjoy food!
     Ironically the one suggestion that has worked for me in the past is to enjoy my food. We may think enjoying food is the problem, that we enjoy it too much. Not true! We substitute large quantities for savoring quality.  Maybe I'm the exception, but my mind only fully engages in one sense at a time.  I don't taste what I'm eating when I'm working because my brain switches from tasting to working rather than dividing its attention equally between the two activities. These mealtime experiences prove so tasteless and unsatisfying that we forget we ate and we eat again.
     Why do we so often close our eyes to kiss, to imagine, to pray, to solve a problem, to remember specifics, or to inhale pleasing aromas?  Because temporarily eliminating the distractions of one sense increases the joy and effectiveness of another sense.  Might this be the path to enjoying God more? To finding more joy in His Presence - to loving Him with all our hearts, minds, souls and strength and to use each sense to enjoy more thoroughly each gift He gives? 
          
"Taste and see that the LORD is good. Blessed is the man who goes to Him for safety."  Psalm 34:8

"Your words are very sweet to my taste! They are sweeter than honey to me." 
Psalm 119:103
 
"Because I do what is right, I will enjoy your blessing.
When I wake up, I will be satisfied because I will see you." 
Psalm 17:15

"‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and love our neighbor as yourself.’"
Luke 10:27










No comments:

Post a Comment