Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20, 2012 - Keeping It Fresh

"Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7   

 "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." 
Psalm 51:10
"Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." Psalm 51:12


 Advertisers love the word "fresh."  Cleaning products and laundry detergents leave a "fresh, clean smell."  Finer restaurants aim to use the freshest ingredients.  Grocery stores offer "fresh" meats, dairy and produce.   Companies and even churches seek out people with fresh, innovative ideas. Being cooped up in a windowless office or cubicle makes people long for fresh air.
     When I began viewing meals as more than getting something edible on the table, I learned the difference using fresh ingredients can make. Fresh tomatoes and herbs instead of a jar of sauce turned something old into something delightful.  Fresh vegetables taste better and nourish our bodies without the added preservatives and salt.  Fresh bread and homemade cookies warm from the oven satisfy better than anything pre-packaged.  I discovered all the "hype" about using fresh ingredients wasn't just hype after all. 
      Lo and behold if the same principle doesn't apply to transforming a stale spiritual life into a vibrant, "tasty" life through fresh encounters with God through prayer and His Word.  According to Oswald Chambers in the devotional for today, "Freshness does not come from obedience but from the Holy Spirit; obedience keeps us in the light as God is in the light."  He explains that we know we're heading toward staleness when we hear ourselves thinking or saying, "I have to do this or that thing or it won't get done."  Reading that statement makes me feel tired and anxious while investing time in my relationship with God leaves me feeling - well, freshly inspired, ready and hopeful. 
Father, I don't want to live on someone else's or even my own spiritual leftovers. I want You to feed me daily with what will nourish and strengthen me for today. I want to see You again everywhere I go today. Please, bathe me in Your Light and Your "new-every-morning" faithfulness. Fill me with fresh hope and energy to respond to Your unending Love. Guide me to think in ways that lift instead of oppress my soul. Examine my heart and remove the sin - both the long-time moldy and disgusting sin as well as any new ones.  Let the Fresh Breeze of Your Spirit blow through my heart and soul so I'm once again newborn in You and moving as You lead me. 
In the Name of Jesus, our Fresh, New Life!
     
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness."  
Lamentations 3:23


No comments:

Post a Comment