Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday, November 4 - The Perfect Bite

     In one of the final services we shared with our church family at Eastern Shore Baptist, the preacher asked this question: "What are you doing right now that without God's power you'd fall flat on your face?" If we can't think of an answer, we're missing our life's purpose.
     We're gloves; He's the Hand. We're pitchers; He's the Living Water. We're lamps; He's the Light of the world. We're sailboats; He's the wind. We're hungry; He's the Bread of Life. We're the mouths; He's the Voice. All these analogies focus on His filling and equipping us to do what pleases Him. We won't make a difference in this world until we learn the difference between emptying ourselves for His filling and asking Him to "help" us do what we've already decided to do. He would rather us do nothing than do something without Him. But, our impatience with silence and stillness prompts us to forge ahead, with or without Him.     
     In my treasure hunt this morning I found a casserole of powerful and tasty bits from other verses and truths that packs a punch of promises.
"May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing His will, and may He work in us what is pleasing to Him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20-21
    List of ingredients:
     Peace
     Constantly available and death-defying power
     Eternal purpose
     Gentle guidance from the greatest of all shepherds
     Everything good
     Equipping for every good work
     Knowledge of God's will
     Assurance that we're pleasing Him.

     These two verses simmer together for the perfect bite of being in God's will. Yet, we choose to figure out what we can't know and motivate ourselves with hollow cheers to accomplish what we can't do on our own. Silly humans! God is with us to do it all through us and He serves up generous portions of rest and peace for dessert to replace the frustration and exhaustion of working alone. 

Shepherd-King, help me remember to submit to You before planning the day or letting the day plan me. Guard me from forging ahead without You. Deflate any efforts I make to do or go on my own. Pull me away from the "full plate" of over extending myself that doesn't satisfy. Fill me with Your Power to do what You've set out to do through me. Stop me when I assume or presume I know what You want. Nourish me with the freedom of Your Spirit in me and equip me to make a difference to whomever You've chosen me to minister. You chose to put us on earth for Your eternal purposes at this time. Thank You for using us silly humans to glorify You, Your Son and the Holy Spirit - Three in One, One in Three - Amazing God who works in even me!

In the name of Jesus our Good and Gentle Shepherd


"The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." Exodus 33:14


"The bolts of your gates will be iron and bronze, and your strength will equal your days." Deuteronomy 33:25


"The LORD gives strength to His people; the LORD blesses His people with peace." Psalm 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment