Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 13 - Judging and Unforgiveness - one thing leads to another

Why is forgiving so difficult? This morning's devotional was on judging and how we're not supposed to that (blah, blah, blah).  Even the world knows we're not to judge each other (and the world continually judges Christians for being judgmental). Since I'm analytical by nature, I try not to ponder the sin of judging much. After all, pondering leads to conviction and conviction leads to change and, frankly, I don't want to change. But, when I think about it, judging and unforgiveness run in the same circles and I don't want to be an unforgiving person. So, I guess it's time to ponder.

Pondering: Judging means I think I know everything about a situation or person from every angle.  Conviction: There's only One who has that information at His Holy fingertips.
Next pondering: Therefore, when I judge people I'm setting myself up on a throne beside God and that's dangerous.
Conviction: That's called pride and God hates pride. (Dang!)
Pondering #3: When I refuse to forgive someone I'm refusing to show mercy and compassion.
Conviction: I need God's mercy and compassion every day, yet Jesus said we must forgive others so our Father will forgive us. (foiled again!)

Change? My head knows this. I'm praying my heart and actions catch up and do the right thing.

Dearest Father, maybe You don't want to hear from me right now because You know and I know there's some forgiveness that needs to take place in my life. Help me do the godly, right thing. Help my heart change to match the convictions You've placed there and what You've confirmed in Your Word. I want to be a forgiving person but it doesn't come naturally. Fill me with the Love of Christ and help me forgive before I can fertilize the seeds of hurt with resentment or water them with hot tears of anger. Chop down any weeds and thorny vines that have already made themselves at home in our garden and have choked out fellowship and unity.  


In the name of Jesus who died to forgive


"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:2


"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment