Monday, July 1, 2013

Surely Temple

"Within Your temple, O God, we meditate on Your unfailing love."
Psalm 48:9 (NIV)

"Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own." 1 Corinthians 6:19

     Over the last few weeks, the fire in this temple has needed kindling.  Sacrifices ran the temple grounds, unattended and unruly rather than bound and burned.  Dust gathered on the instruments of praise. I've tossed blessings in a dark corner rather than polishing and displaying them.  My love, attention and service grew unseasonably and unreasonably lukewarm.  
     The worst part is that I can't explain why.  No major changes in my life triggered a crisis of faith.  Terrible news didn't break my heart nor did "good" news leave me thinking I didn't need God. So when and why did I slip into spiritual apathy? Did I grow weary without a miracle? Is it too hot to meditate? Am I exhausted from praying about the same issues and fears? 
     I don't know whether God will  provide answers to these questions, but I do know that for whatever reason, I'm ready to respond to God's sweet, urging Voice to return to HIm, confess my apathy, bring out the bellows, sacrifice the false gods, invite the Spirit to blow through and remove the dust, display the blessings, dispose of distractions, and refurnish this temple with all that makes Him at home again. 

"God's beloved; God's permanent residence. 
Encircled by God all day long, within whom God is at home." 
Deuteronomy 33:12 (The Message)

"Take delight in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment