Monday, June 17, 2013

LOL

Jesus Calling encourages lighthearted living today. According to the author, our faith in God's power shines through when we can laugh at ourselves and our circumstances.  Our sincere laughter (not the nervous version) expresses faith in God's loving provision. Laughter lightens the mood, breaks the spell of gloom, and sends God the message that we trust Him to handle the situation.  

In the beginning, God assigned people a workload, and in the Gospels, Jesus promised His followers He would put a "load" on them.  
"Come to Me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest.  For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light." Matthew 11:28-30 

I evidently think I can handle more than the light load God assigns me since I add to my load until I wobble like an overloaded washing machine.  If I hear about a problem, I feel it's my responsibility to solve it and I figure, re-figure, plan and revise until my mind is worn out. 

"A cheerful disposition is good for your health; 
gloom and doom leave you bone-tired." 
Proverbs 17:22
Amen, Brother Solomon!

The answer? "Mind your own business!" or, to put it nicely, "Find freedom by accepting the boundaries of your domain." (Sarah Young, Jesus Calling)  We may not realize we're minding God's business when we pull other people's problems, circumstances and issues into our domain to solve for them. 

God decides our business (workload), including when and how to help others with His guidance and help. He lays this "yoke" gently on us and sticks with us to carry it to completion.  He's the only one who can carry the weight of the world on His shoulders.  

"The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel, which means 'God with us.'"  Matthew 1:23

So laugh it up today and tell God you trust Him. 

"She is clothed with strength and dignity; 
she can laugh at the days to come." 
Proverbs 31:25

No comments:

Post a Comment