Monday, December 17, 2012

The Other Side of the Door

Those who are persecuted for righteousness are blessed, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs.  Matthew 5:9-11

"You have been raised up with Christ. So think about things that are in heaven. That is where Christ is. He is sitting at God’s right hand." Colossians 3:1


Last night, the first and second grade children's choir sang a song called "Abba, Father."  The truth in these words, sung in their sweet child-voices served as a life preserver in the storm of news from Connecticut this week.    

"You're the God of all the ages,
The beginning and the end,
Omnipotent and mighty -
I cannot understand.

But I can call to You in worship
And You hear this one small voice.
Your love and peace surround me,
And in wonder I rejoice!

Abba Father! Abba Father!
You hear me when I call You
And I know I'm not alone!
Abba Father! Abba Father!
You love me like a child and I'm Your own.

While I know many well-meant words of comfort are being sent Northeast, many aren't based in Truth. There's no Scriptural evidence or indication that people become angels in heaven or that God calls us to heaven because He needs another angel in His choir. The Truth is better than that: We'll see God face-to-Face and the Face we see will erupt in a  joy so great that we'll want to stay at His Feet praising Him forever. No more tears or separation, no more night.  Isn't that the greatest comfort? To be home in God's Presence, safe from evil and from heartache?  

Someone once held a gun to my head and it was terrifying, but only for a second before a tremendous peace engulfed me.  I knew I stood on one side of the door to God's Presence and sensed Him on the other side.  If I know anything about myself, I know I'm not brave on my own, but those seconds transitioning from fear to peace were real.  My experience comforts me when similar tragedies strike other believers. I believe those 20 children knew this peace as the door to heaven opened for them.  In the twinkling of an eye, they surrounded Abba Father and He became everything to them - Father, Teacher, Life, Breath and Purpose. We don't have to euphemize or fictionalize: our Hope is real.

"Your faith and love are based on the hope you have. What you hope for is stored up for you in heaven. You have already heard about it. You were told about it when the message of truth was given to you. I’m talking about the good news." Colossians 1:5




No comments:

Post a Comment