Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmassing Well While There's Still Time

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be honored among the nations.
I will be honored in the earth.'”
Psalm 46:10



It's the most wonderful time of the year, but it's slipping by quickly. How do we slow it down to savor the moments and truly celebrate Christmas in 2012?

I've found I can't manufacture that wonderful feeling, I can only allow it and it usually takes me by surprise.  You and I have lived through enough Christmasses to know which parts invite hushed worship, holy thoughts, shimmering light and the joyful peace of goodwill toward all people. 

Be still and know that I am God.

Magnify God with other believers:  Mary, alone and pregnant, accepted Elizabeth's words and expressions of encouragement and the women magnified God together. Two women, - one too young and virginal to be expecting and the other too old and past her time for conceiving - both willing, both giving God His due. Find a friend and forget Frosty.  Magnify the Lord.

Be  still and know that I am God.

Step outside tonight, look up, feel small and be awed that the Great Creator of the Universe came as a baby to save you and yours and all the rest of us bumbling innkeepers who say there's no room.  Last night I stepped outside to see the meteor shower but saw something even more amazing: the clear night sky with Orion's belt and one bright star we could see every night, if we don't fail to notice.

Be still and know that I am God.

Prepare your favorite warm drink, light a candle, sit in a cozy place and let the warmth seep through you, pondering that Jesus came as Immanuel (God with us) and ascended so the Holy Spirit could live and breathe in us.  Actively remember we are one with this great God Who seeps through us, longing for relationship with us.

Be still and know that I am God.
Honor God by giving generously: food to the poor, gifts to orphans, clothing to the naked, teaching to those who don't know Him, listening ears to children, attention to the unloveable, patience to the irritating, carols to neighbors, big tips to servers, room for the drivers or shoppers in a hurry, prayers for prisoners, hospitality to the lonely and alone, gratitude to God for everything always.

“Then the people who have done what is right will answer him. ‘Lord,’ they will ask, ‘when did we see you hungry and feed you? When did we see you thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you as a stranger and invite you in? When did we see you needing clothes and give them to you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘What I’m about to tell you is true. Anything you did for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
Matthew 25:37-40













No comments:

Post a Comment