Monday, November 19, 2012

From Your Current Location

"Here is something I am still sure of.
I will see the Lord’s goodness
while I’m still alive.
Wait for the Lord.
Be strong and don’t lose hope.
Wait for the Lord."
Psalm 27:13-14

     On our recent trip to Louisiana, we set our GPS destination for our old address in Springhill. The thing gave us three routes, and options confuse this Type A personality.  We just wanted the best route, but what's "best?"  The first would get us there about four minutes sooner but would require a lot of twists and turns.  The second route would take us through towns with more stops and better roads.  The third route the most direct but appeared to be farther on the map.  So, did we want to arrive sooner but dizzier, well-fed and full-tanked, or later but straighter?
     We started with Route 1, but missed the exit so we defaulted to Route 2. This route jogged us north when we knew we wanted to go south, so we re-set the GPS to use Route 3. Then we decided to make a detour through Magnolia for lunch so the GPS recalculated to get us to our destination from our new location. Our roadtrip wasn't the most direct or the quickest, but we arrived on time and in good shape.  
     If this trip doesn't describe our spiritual lives toward the holiness of Christ, I don't know what does. Accepting Christ means we know where we'll end up, but will have our own story about how we got there.  Sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels or going in circles. At moments I feel so off the grid I wonder whether or not I can get back on track.    Then there's YOU - you seem to have it together, you seem to know how to handle the mountains, the swift rivers, the desert sections of the journey. YOU seem to be always ahead of me or off on some adventure while I'm changing my tire or getting pulled out of a ditch.
     My route might only cross yours occasionally and your route may seem more direct than mine, but we're still going to end up at the same destination of Christlike if we keep moving forward in Christ.  If I see you resting in a meadow by still waters while I'm wandering in the desert, it could be you've found a temporary oasis in your own desert leg of the journey. If you see me doing a victory dance on top of a mountain you conquered years ago, give me a thumbs up and smile.  
     God - in His complex, loving, efficient God-mind - designs a "best" route for each of us Our ETAs may vary, but our God is the same faithful, strong God Who leads us always toward His holiness from our current location.
   
“Because Your love is faithful,
You will lead the people You have set free.
Because You are so strong,
You will guide them to the holy place where You live."
Exodus 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment