Monday, November 12, 2012

Down By The Riverside

     Veteran's Day has given me a rare day alone at home and I've wondered all weekend what I would do with it.  Creature of habit that I am, I woke at the usual time, enjoyed lying in bed sleepily recalling the weekend we shared with our church and community family in Springhill, Louisiana.  As they say, "God showed up."  His Spirit was obvious in the faces and voices of the musicians, in the words and encouragement of the leaders, and in the response of the congregation as we celebrated together the heritage of Central Baptist Church's 90-year anniversary.  I woke up wanting to fan the after-glow of yesterday's fellowship into full flame again, so I put the dog in the car and we went for a ride to see what colors God had on His palette this morning. 
     Everywhere I looked driving up Hot Springs Highway offered a burning bush, a field, a stream, a bridge, a gate, a barn, a driveway, a trail, a new curve in the road or a hill to top.  It was too much "God" to process. I could've spent all morning exploring, but I stopped at the riverside and let Little Mac stretch a bit as I absorbed the canvases Abba laid before me in this particular studio of His. 
     
      Down by the riverside, God reminded me of a few important lessons.  First, it's easy and tempting to look back to yesterday and think God only shows up in certain places or under certain conditions. We cling to those places and conditions wanting God to work in and around us exactly like He did then. But like a river, His work moves on through changing locations and landscapes. We must keep this faulty reasoning and miracle-binding nostalgia from blinding us to God's work where we are today.      

        Step Two of God's lesson plan for me today centered on this large leaf I watched fall in the river. 

It had hung in the same place for at least nine months watching the river roll by, shielding waders and swimmers, advancing in musical skills from a soft flutter to a crisp clap, and fighting off summer rains and storms to change from  translucent green to autumn brown.  What a life!  But, at this precise point in its leaf life, it was time to find out where the river goes; time to ride the rapids
    The leaf landed gingerly on the still waters, floating on its back to view its branch home and the sky beyond. In a moment,  a current caught it and pulled it under, popped it back up, drew it under again, rolled it, swirled it and sent it, stem up, faster and faster toward the first set of rapids. What a ride!
     God's creation shouts His glory and whispers His truths.  We don't have to stay where we are spiritually.  We don't have to be afraid we'll never be used again or never know His power like we once did.  We don't have to settle for half-hearted worship or lack-luster praise or shallow fellowship.  Today can be the day we look back to appreciate what God has done just long enough to let it propel us into finding out what He's doing today, where we are.

Like the last dying leaf on an autumn tree, 
I cling to what I know,
Afraid to let go,
Lost and alone in my own strength.
Then Your Spirit comes to me,
Whispering, "Child, I'll set you free,
from all that would hold you back." 
     Lord, thank You for working wherever we are, wherever You send us or wherever You keep us.  Thank You for the firm foundations of how You've worked before and for the promise that lies ahead if we'll let You take us on the ride of our lives. God help us trust You, trust Your plan, trust your Word. May we die to self today to see You live in and through us.  Thank You for the accountability of friends, for the body of people You testify through, for the encouragement and inspiration we find in people who've experienced Your power.  Give us the courage to make today the day we let go and let You sweep us forward.
In the Name of Jesus, Giver of New Life, the Root of Jesse, the Promised Messiah, the Vine
"For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate. Can’t you see the central issue in all this? It is not what you and I do—submit to circumcision, reject circumcision. It is what God is doing, and he is creating something totally new, a free life!"  Galatians 6:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment