Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday, December 4, 2011 - Pinnacle Parenting

View of Pinnacle from the peak we climbed.
"He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, 
and he must do so in a manner 
worthy of full respect."  
1 Timothy 3:4

    Tom, Nick and I finally made it to Pinnacle State Park outside Little Rock yesterday.  We hiked a trail that turned into a rock climbing expedition to the top of a smaller peak in the park - high enough, steep enough and slippery enough to keep me on edge as I saw Nick venturing farther than I wanted him to go.  My prayers were potent: "Lord, I know he's Yours, please keep him safe.  Don't let him fall off that cliff."  This prayer triggered inner recrimination: "What kind of parent lets her child stand on a cliff??" which was followed by my shaky, "Nick, come on down from there.  PLEASE, be  careful. Don't slip. Hang on." which was followed by Tom's  "He's o.k." and "He's being careful."  
     Ahh, parenting.   With one hand we gently push our children to venture forth and be independent while the other hand yanks them back into the safety of our embrace, control and home.   
Nick helping his mother's prayer life. 



     Who are we kidding?  We have a hard enough time controlling our own daredevil behavior:  sitting on that fence of temptation, living on the edge of commitment,  hanging on by sheer willpower instead of hanging on to God's Power, never learning to say "no" to what hurts us.  In light of my spiritual immaturity, do I want final responsibility for Nick's life and decisions, his safety and well-being? Absolutely not.  He's God's as much as I am.  He's God's more than mine.  His successes reflect God's grace and his failures call for God's grace.  I am a steward of this precious gift, and pinnacle parenting means protecting to a point, teaching by example, and loving with everything in me. Ultimately, Nick's in God's Hands where he can spread his wings safely. 
   Father, when I was little, it hurt me to know Hannah left Samuel at the Temple, in Your care, but now Your care is all I ask for Nick, and for Julie, Nick and Addy. May Tom and I be examples that prove they're in the safest, yet most adventurous place in the world in Your Hands.  Help us be excellent stewards of the priceless treasures You've placed in our sphere of influence. Help us always guide them to take Your Hand every time instead of settling for anyone else's sadly lacking visions for them.  Thank You for loving them more than we do,
In the Name of Jesus, Who loved and held the little children, the Author of a life beyond the norm


Inspired by Live Loved, Max Lucado

No comments:

Post a Comment