Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Fat Robin




"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." Romans 8:26



I saw a fat robin sitting on a fence under a tree yesterday and thought, "That's me."  


I'm looking to get comfortable between the danger on the ground and the needs in the nest.  I don't long to soar or bring home the worms. There's not enough get up and go in these wings to spread them and I can't think of a single springtime tune to trill. This fat Robin just wants to sit here and groan.

Now, as a child of God, I know I'm going to be miserable if I sit on this splintery fence too long.  God didn't give me wings to hang 10 (or is it 8?) on a rail forever. Nope. Something's got to give and it's got to be me. So, 

Note to self: 
Do you not know?                                          (What?)
     Have you not heard?                                 (Tell me!) 
The LORD is the everlasting God,                     (but . . . )
     the Creator of the ends of the earth.           (that's amazing!)      
He will not grow tired or weary,                       (even though I do)
     and His understanding no one can fathom.   (I don't understand . . .)
He gives strength to the weary                        (I'll take two -)
     and increases the power of the weak.          (Weak as water, Lord, feel                                                                         free to amp it up.)
Even youths grow tired and weary,                   (So what hope is there for
     and young men stumble and fall;                   a fat bird on a fence?)
but those who hope in the LORD                      (I want to, LORD)
     will renew their strength.                           (Hope in the LORD=strength)
They will soar on wings like eagles;                  (That's a great goal)
     they will run and not grow weary,                (Maybe soon)
     they will walk and not be faint.                   (That could happen today.)   
Isaiah 40:28-31

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

If, in the very near future, you see a fat robin walking along a fence or running down the rail and shaking our her feathers to take off - don't laugh, just ask God to help her remember Who lifts and empowers His children.

Lord God, I glory in my weakness: I'm nothing without You.  You alone are the strength and wisdom I need. May Your power rest on me as I rest in You. Fill me with Your Spirit so I can release the fence and walk, then run, then soar in Your strength.   May we free You to free us: pry our toes off the fence, build the muscles in our legs, and unfurl our rusty wings.
In the Name of Jesus Who ascended!

2 comments: