Monday, April 15, 2013

Out of the Ring, Fighting My Own Fight

"But I trust in You, LORD; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your Hands."
Psalm 31:14-15a

On the way to school this morning, Nick and I were talking about how much easier it is to stand up for someone else than it is to stand up for yourself. Praying's like that for me. The issues seem crystal clear when it comes to praying for other people - unless they're my children - extensions of me.   

I just received a text from a friend who understands what I mean. Her son is being rushed to the hospital with chest pains and she's asking for prayer. 

Julie and Addy
So am I. Our daughter, Julie, had five additional moles removed after an initial one tested mildly atypical.  Now two of the new ones have been tested "mild" and "severe" - and they'll be removed May 1. There's no melanoma - just the assurance that if nothing's done, danger is certain, in time. Praise God, again, that she went to the doctor.  This is my child, my daughter who's facing serious issues as she turns 25.   I'm praying urgently, with purpose and passion, for her healing and that they scoop out every abnormal cell so she never has to deal with this threat again. 

Four generations of mamas and daughters.
Praying Addy walks in her mama's steps of faith.
Why can't we be allowed to tag team with our children, jumping in the ring to handle the tough stuff for them? Because they, too, are learning to say "But I trust in You, LORD; I say, 'You are my God. My times are in Your Hands."  As a parent I must resist every urge to obstruct my children's spiritual growth by trying to have faith for them.  My job is to stand by them, to fight my own worry, to work out my own faith, and to pray for them as they learn to trust the Someone Bigger and Stronger Who never leaves them to take their hits alone in the ring.   

Lord, God, our lives - moments, trials, victories -are in Your hands.  Help us pray, not worry; remember You love our kids more than we do (??); know You're constantly refining them to bring out their best; and believe You have a purpose for everything You allow into their lives just as You do in ours.  Help us demonstrate a faith in You that will matter to them, encourage them, lead them, but never come between them and You. Mamas want to fix things and Daddies want to provide.  You are both to our children and we trust You.
In the Name of Jesus, Who wanted to gather Jerusalem under His wing like a mother hen. 





No comments:

Post a Comment