Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Through the Roof

Those four determined men who carried their lame friend to see Jesus didn't give up when crowds of people blocked their way. They fought through to the roof, tore away a large hole and lowered the man's cot to the feet of Jesus, the One they knew could help.  This quartet of friends deserves a song, applause, or a memorial, yet we don't even know their names.  Their stubborn faith and non-stop action in the right direction for their friend earned their story a place in God's Word.  I've come to a deeper appreciation for their spiritual initiative since I broke my right shoulder two months ago.  
     From the moment I hit the floor all I could say to God for six weeks were the words, "God, please."  Fighting through the fog of pain and pain-killers seemed impossible so I trusted He knew what I meant and needed.  Those simple prayers sum up my personal effort to grow for the last two months.  My mind wasn't mine to control for while after I hit the bathroom floor.  
     Job and Jeremiah now have my utmost respect.  Paul and Silas are saints for singing in prison after being beaten, but I, the spiritual weenie, needed people to carry me to Jesus.  God answered my two-word prayers by sending friend after friend with support, practical help, love, prayers, phone calls and food, food and more food.  He blessed our family with cards and car rides, affection and attention.  More people had a hand on my cot than I can count.  Friends and family carried me to the feet of Jesus and I've come through that dense, disorienting fog to testify that God is a God Who never leaves us, Who sends the right help at the right time, and loves us just as we need to be loved in the moment of our greatest need. 
     If God uses us to carry each other when we're physically hurting,  how much more does He want to use us to carry the emotionally paralyzed or spiritually dead from their darkness into the Light?   I'm getting closer to "normal" and now it's time to reach down and take a corner of someone else's cot.  Will you take another corner?  The crowds will seem impassable and the steps will be steep.  The roof may take more effort to remove than we thought and our friends' burdens could get heavier the nearer we get to Jesus, but we can't give up. Who else will carry them?


No comments:

Post a Comment