Saturday, June 2, 2012

From Head to Toe

Aren't you thankful to live in a world of modern medicine and scientifically measured anesthesia?  In spite of  a high tolerance for pain, the thoughts of what a surgeon is doing with those sharp instruments would make me pass out anyway.  The kind podiatrist who sat me down in an upright chair for a bunion-ectomy told me I could even watch if I was interested, but I almost passed out when he showed me the needle he would use to inject the bone to deaden it.  I spent the remainder of my time with him trying to keep still and not look or listen, but I could feel the tugs and knew what he was doing. Shudder!
No physician can help us if we don't sit still to accept the remedy and the Great Physician is no exception. Unfortunately, we may technically "sit still" while doing our best not to look or listen.  The verse, however is a two-part command, a two-fold remedy for what ails us.

 “Be still, and know that I am God!
    I will be honored by every nation.
    I will be honored throughout the world.”
Psalm 46:10

God's remedy requires time, patience and focus as we learn to know Him through studying His Word and talking with Him in prayer. In fact, the more we look and listen to the Doctor, the more healing we see from head to toe, from heart to mind, from hands to mouth.  This is the plan of action until the day we get what we long for: instant transformation with one look into His Face.
 
"Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is." 1 John 3:2

Father-God, You offer us healing and lasting transformation into Your likeness - from the inside out.  Help us sit still and gaze on the beauty of Your Holiness.  Build our immune system against interruptions and discouragement.  Thank You for loving us enough to save us and spend all the time in the world helping us become the people You can make us.
In the Name of the Great Physician Himself, Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment